Tracking alumni with Membership Keeper makes sense because it allows you to easily convert Member School Directory information into Alumni information. Membership Keeper helps you keep alumni involved in your organization.
Converting Directory Information into Alumni Information
If a student has either graduated or no longer attends a school, Membership Keeper has a script to convert the families' contact information from being school directory information into alumni information:
- Click Students tab at the top of the window and find a student that no longer attends the school.
- Click Delete at the top of the screen and a dialog box will ask you to confirm that you want to delete that student. Click OK.
- Membership Keeper will determine if the student being deleted has a sibling (or related child in their household). If their is a sibling, Membership Keeper will delete the student and add a note that says "Child named [student name] attended [current year]." to the Alumni tab of the Parents. The note maybe changed to say "graduated" instead of attended or phrased another preferred way (it looks neater if this note is consistent between records.)
- Otherwise, if Membership Keeper determines that there is not a sibling in the household that attends the same school then Membership Keeper will ask if the Parent should be converted to Alumni.
- If "Yes" is clicked, Membership Keeper will:
- change the Household Type to "Alumni"
- change Publish Address to "No"
- change Include for Directory to "No"
- add a note that says "Child named [student name] attended [current year]." to the Parent's Alumni tab
- If "No" is clicked, Membership Keeper will:
- determine if the Parents had made donations in the past and ask again if you really want to delete them from the database.
- Membership Keeper will delete the related parent information if confirmed.
The Alumni tab shows an alphbetical index of your organization's alumni.
- To see your alumni as a list, click List in the blue bar. To show alumni only, click Find and choose "Alumni" from Type field's pop-up menu. Click Perform Find. To quickly sort your list by last name, first name, priority, etc. click the header at the top of the list.
- To see the children associated with an alumni, click on the Alumni tab in the tab set in the upper left hand corner. If the field is blank, enter information such as "Child named Rachel Allen graduated 2010". Use language consistent from member to member for neat looking reports.
- To preview a printable Alumni List, click on the Reports tab. Click on Alumni List in the Contact Reports list. You may choose from "Active Only" to "All".
- To differentiate your most active alumni, go to the tab set in the upper left hand corner of a member's page and click on the Alumni tab. Click the checkbox that says "Yes".
- To differentiate your least active alumni, go to the tab set in the upper left hand corner of a member's page and click on the Alumni tab. Click the checkbox that says "No".
- To enter notes about alumni, go to the tab set in the upper left hand corner of a member's page and click on the Alumni tab. Click on the word "More..." and a new window will open with an expanded view of the Alumni tab plus a field for notes.
- To send an email to alumni, click on List (in the blue bar), click Find at the top of the window, enter "Alumni" in the Type field, click on Perform Find at the top of the window. If the list of names shown is what you want, click on the Send Email button at the top of the list. For more information about Finds, see FileMaker® Help.